Job Role Insights
TZS500,000 - TZS1,199,999
1 - 2 Years
Job Title: Extension Officer
Reports to: Development Manager
Location: Kibiti, Pwani
Who we are
At East Coast Agritech, we have developed a viable business model to employ modern and scalable farming technologies to make a real impact for smallholder farmers in Tanzania. We work closely with poultry farmers, providing them with easy-to-use prefabricated units containing advanced technology and 'ready to lay hens.' Our approach is tailored for small rural farms, aiming to increase egg production and improve the livelihoods of local farmers. As we gear up to expand our poultry business, our vision extends to scaling these technologies across diverse agricultural value chains and across the country in the years ahead.
Who you are
We're seeking an outgoing Extension Officer with a keen interest in guiding farmers towards success in poultry farming. Our ideal candidate should have a foundational understanding of best practices in livestock and/or agriculture. More importantly, they should possess experience in handling digital tools and technology, coupled with a passion for data analysis to drive continuous improvements. Strong communication skills are a must to educate and support farmers in adopting new interventions, enhancing their production. The candidate should have a curious mind and contribute ideas and feedback directly to management for process improvements within their scope of work, as we look to scale our business.
In this role, your core responsibility is to foster strong relationships with our farmers while also overseeing interventions to continuously optimize their production. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Farmer Relationship Management: Establish and nurture strong connections with farmers, serving as a dedicated liaison. Support farmers to enhance productivity and relay their challenges, concerns, and feedback to management.
- Farmer Visits: Travel by motorcycle or delivery vehicle to observe and assess farmer activities and agricultural units. Follow the inspection process and provide detailed reports to drive improvements.
- Monitor and Intervene: Utilize online platforms to closely monitor egg production data, identifying challenges and activate intervention processes. Collaborate closely with farmers to enhance production outcomes and track progress.
- Surveys and Data Recording: Conduct surveys with farmers and local communities, carefully recording data and responses for insightful analysis.
- Data Gap Identification and Rectification: Proactively identify and address any data gaps, actively supporting the company's efforts to improve its data collection processes.
- Logistical Support: Collaborate with management to support the weekly farmer delivery schedule. Ensure that deliveries are prepared in advance and consistently adhere to the schedule.
- Recruiting New Farmers: Plan and coordinate outreach efforts, assessment, training and onboarding of new farmers. Assist to prepare farmers and sites for deployment of units.
- Participation in Meetings: Actively engage in weekly performance and planning meetings via video calls, contributing to the collaborative efforts aimed at continual improvement.
- Bachelor's degree in agriculture, Business Management, or a related field.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data related to daily operations and KPIs.
- Ability to ride a motorcycle or vespa with a valid licence.
- Proficient in written and spoken Swahili and English.
- Experience working in agricultural or rural communities.
Interested in this job?
0 days left to apply